Come and take a peek into a day in my life March 2021. Last Tuesday I joined in with Ali Edwards’ A Day in the Life project and recorded life right now.
This isn’t the first time I’ve taken part in this project. You can see a day in the life from March 2020 here and one from February 2019 here.
Why do I do this?
I love documenting life. I love taking photos and making notes about how life looks on a day-to-day basis. Because one day I will look around me and life won’t look anything like it does now.
I am so grateful for the journals, scrapbooks, blog posts, photo books I have that give me an insight into what my everyday was like at those times of my life. I love the nostalgia and the memories that come up.
And in taking the time to document with photos and notes I find myself being more mindful as I go about my day. It helps me realise what stays the same, what changes, where improvements can be made and where I’ve been taking things for granted.
If you’ve never done anything like this I would recommend giving it a go.
A Day in my Life March 2021
Theme for the Day – Getting back to routine
Weather – Sunny. Low of 4 / High of 11
Wake up Time – 7am – much earlier than usual as the kiddo is back at school this week for the first time in 2021 (we’ve been home learning since January)
Breakfast – Burnt Scotch Pancakes with flora and jam and an apple. Is it time for a new toaster?
Lunch – Toasties in the new toastie/waffle/panini press with crisps and crudities. My toastie filling was cheese and pineapple which generated some interest on Instagram when I shared it!
Dinner – Pitta pizzas with tomato paste, oregano, a lot of garlic, ham, pineapple, cheese. Easy and simple dinner.
What I did
- Grab my phone earlier than usual to start snapping photos and do a day in the life (DITL) intro on Instagram stories.
- Write my morning pages.
- Cuddles with my boys then get ready for the day ahead.
- Let the dog out, feed everyone breakfast and load up in the car to school.
- Say goodbye to the kiddo and take the dog for a walk – feels good to be walking a familiar route from last Autumn and noticing the signs of Spring popping up everywhere (so many daffodils).
- Head home and spend time faffing…it always takes me a while to switch from one routine to another. I need to remind myself of my cues to sit down and start work. Grateful that I spent the last few weeks working on my intentions for the year and working out what actions I wanted to take to get there. But still need to remind myself to sit down and DO the work.
- Do some reading and journaling for 2 courses I am currently working on, sort out some payments, send some emails and do some posts/updates in groups I am in
- Grab the reusable bags and head out for the tescos click and collect. We’ve been doing our weekly shop online and collecting it since Summer last year. Occasionally pop into a shop for a top-up of fruit, vegetables, bread and milk but try to avoid shops where possible.
- Home to unpack the shopping and try out our new toastie maker for lunch.
- Chat with the husband while we eat.
- Join an accountability session with fellow freelancers. Set out to get my FTGE inbox tamed. Get my unread messages from 126 down to 15. Super pleased with that. Plus archive and sort lots of read mail and even unsubscribe from a few things that are no longer relevant.
- Check back in with the accountability session to report on progress and cheer everyone else on.
- Carry on sorting out my emails and actioning some things that have been on the back burner during home learning.
- Update IG stories with what I’ve been up to.
- Leave for the school pick up, stop at the park on the way home for some exercise in the sunshine for the kiddo.
- Home to supply snacks and pop on Animal Crossing to do some daily jobs for 15 mins before the kiddo plays online with friends.
- More faffing – the return to school means a lot of adjustments for me as well as the kiddo – hope to use this time between school pick up and dinner for jobs around the house and finishing anything on my to do list for the day.
- Husband takes dog for his evening walk pre-dinner as he has a run planned for after dinner
- I make dinner and tidy the kitchen while watching some YouTube.
- We sit down for dinner – we usually watch TV while we eat and the current favourite is Richard Osman’s House of Games.
- Hubby leaves for his running session, doggo is unsettled with all the routine changes and has a cry.
- I start reading my book, the kiddo plays some Animal Crossing.
- Time for vitamins (so grateful we linked taking vitamins with the kiddo going to bed – he pulls the tub out and reminds me to take mine!) and then up to bed.
- Show the kiddo all my DITL photos and read a chapter of our current family read (Simply the Quest by Maz Evans – it’s part of a series which features lots of mythological gods and creatures – it’s funny and great to read together).
- Kiddo gets tucked in and reads his own book (an Artemis Fowl – he’s working his way through a series of 8). It makes me so happy that he loves reading.
- Decide to put my pyjamas on early.
- Hubby has an 830pm work call.
- I update IG stories and scroll for a while then get back into my book.
- At 10pm I sign off from my DITL on IG stories, I write in my gratitude and sentence a day journals and get ready for bed.
- Can’t get to sleep so end up reading until past midnight.
I am grateful for –
1) My pre-order of The Devil Wears Black by LJ Shen arrived and I’ve started reading it
2) Another good day at school for the kiddo
3) Life feels good today
I am proud of –
(I’ve been writing 3 things I am proud of each day in my gratitude journal since November last year – it’s part of the mindset work I’ve been doing and I recommend giving it a go to celebrate all the wins – big and small!)
1) Documenting a day in my life March 2021 via IG stories
2) Getting my FTGE inbox sorted out
3) Doing the work – lots of mindset stuff this week
No. of steps – 6,629
Today’s Self Nurturing Activity – Reading!
Currently Reading – The Devil Wears Black by LJ Shen
Bedtime – Read in bed from about 8.50pm ish. At 10pm I signed off on IG stories, wrote in my journals and plugged my phone in the office. Tried to get to sleep and couldn’t. Ended up reading until around 12.40am.
And that was a Day in my Life March 2021!
So what do I do with all this stuff I document? I shared snippets from the day via IG stories live on the day. I’m creating this blog post (which is great for comparing previous days as I tend to use a similar format each time). And I’ve also created and ordered a photo book with photos from the day and simple captions to put on our photo album shelf.
And that’s it until next time. I may take part in Week in the Life which usually happens around May time. I will see if I feel motivated nearer the time.
You can, of course, pick any day or week to document and get stuck in but I find it helpful to play along on the days that Ali Edwards suggests as there is a community of people that join in and I find that encouraging.
Let me know if you have a go at documenting a day in your life and how you get on.