Find What Feels Good Roadshow – Yoga with Adriene “Live”

Last Tuesday I went on an adventure. I headed to North London to Alexandra Palace (also known as Ally Pally) to attend the Find What Feels Good Roadshow…or, as I’ve been calling it, Yoga with Adriene Live. It’s an experience that will stay with me forever and I’m so glad I was able to be a part of it.

Find What Feels Good Roadshow (1)

The Lead-Up to the Find What Feels Good Roadshow

As I’ve talked about before (here and here) I’ve been practising yoga daily since 1st January 2017 (& sporadically before that) and most of my practice is at home with Yoga with Adriene.

I was excited when I heard that Adriene was coming to London as part of her Find What Feels Good Roadshow this year. And very happy when I managed to purchase a ticket.

I was feeling anxious leading up to the event – unsure what to expect.  I loved the note from Adriene a few days before. It helped dispel some of my anxiousness of the unknown:

“Balance the beauty of home practice with bravery and adventure!
Connect to the group energy, explore out of your comfort zone.
Open yourself up to a spirit quest or just enjoy the Find What Feels Good flow.
100% open arms.
Let’s party.”

The Actual Event

I left home at 4.30pm in the afternoon and drove to the venue. There was some traffic but my GPS saw me right and I got there in plenty of time. Once I’d confirmed I was in the right car park I headed over to join the queue. The doors opened at 6pm and people were gradually allowed in. We cleared security and then joined another queue for entrance into the hall where the yoga would take place.

After a while I got talking to the women either side of me in the queue. One had a friend further up the queue and was hoping to find a space beside her friend once she got in. The other had travelled all the way from Germany that morning. I ended up setting my mat up next to the lovely lady from Germany when we got in the hall.

I was gobsmacked to find myself on the third row from the front (off to the right hand side). It made me realise how big the venue actually was as I was sure there had been lots of people ahead of me in the queue.

Once my mat was rolled out I ate the dinner I’d brought with me and soaked up the atmosphere. I enjoyed listening to the music playing and especially loved hearing one of my favourite – “Try a Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding. The big screens had a little slideshow going and I got super excited to see the Benji (Adriene’s dog who features in some of her videos) illustration when it came up.

FWFG Roadshow Benji

Adriene came in around 8.15pm and started by saying lots of thank you’s. There was still quite a lot of nervous energy room at that point. But then we got started…

A Magical Experience

FWFG Roadshow Selfie

We started off sitting quietly, finding our space and listening to our breath. Amazingly, I started to forget the 2,400 people all around me and just listened to Adriene’s gentle prompts. When I closed my eyes I could easily be at home, on my lounge rug, like any other practice.

The magic really started when the whole room clapped their hands above their heads in Jai Namaste. And when we all breathed out a sigh together. I could feel goosebumps on my arms as we all flowed together – people of all ages from different places and backgrounds – all coming together to enjoy yoga.

I felt emotional at several times through the evening – when I drove up the hill and saw the London skyline in the distance and Alexandra Palace right in front of me. When I walked into the hall and found my spot to lay out my yoga mat. When Adriene bounded in with a wave. And when everyone in the room was quiet and sharing the same beautiful flow together.

I was sad not to meet Adriene as I’ve seen often happens after her live classes. But I completely understand given the size of the event. I was happy to get a free tote bag sharing the roadshow’s manta “Up Your Connect”. And I was amazed to check the time as we finished up and realised we’d been practicing yoga for 2 hours.

It was a truly magical experience. One I won’t forget. And I would love to do it all over again!

Were you at the Find What Feels Good Roadshow at Ally Pally? How did you find it?

If you’ve never tried yoga but would be keen to give it a go I wholeheartedly recommend Yoga with Adriene (it’s free!) on You Tube. One of my favourite practices which is great for beginner’s is A Little Goes A Long Way.

Free At-Home Yoga Retreat

This weekend I am participating in a free at-home yoga retreat.

At-HomeYoga Retreat

My name is Katie and I love Yoga

You may have heard me mention it before (like here and here!) – I am a big fan of Yoga. I’ve been practicing daily (mostly at home) for 565 days.

I love Yoga with Adriene’s free yoga which is available on YouTube. She has so many awesome practices available for different levels, different moods and different reasons. There are practices for when you are sick, when you have a broken heart and when you need an energy boost. If you haven’t checked out her channel I heartily recommend it!

There’s a community behind the channel as well – there’s a private kula (an online community space for people that practice yoga) and a Facebook group. I’ve “met” some awesome people through the kula. There are people there from all over the world and all different walks of life who share a common love of yoga.

At-Home Yoga Retreat

YWA Home Yoga Retreat 2018

This weekend – starting today (Friday) – Adriene is hosting a retreat in California. To make sure no-one feels left out she’s also offering an At-Home Yoga Retreat. All the practices are available for free on YouTube as a playlist and you can join in at your own convenience from home.

You can read more about the retreat here.

Adriene offered an At-Home Retreat last year and I really enjoyed participating. I usually do 1 yoga practice per day and quite often it’s a quick practice fit in to my day. Last year’s retreat gave me the opportunity to immerse myself in yoga with several practices each day and other activities to keep me focused. It helped me reset and refresh.

The timing for this has worked out great as today is my son’s final day of school before the Summer break. I feel like this retreat will help me kick off the summer break in a positive, calming way.

Are you joining in?

If you’ve been thinking about giving yoga a go why not have a go at the at-home yoga retreat? It’s been designed to be done when it suits you so even if you’re reading this post days or weeks later the practices will still be available online and you’ll be able to work your way through it.

I’m really looking forward to trying some practices I haven’t done before, doing some meditation and of course, the journalling. I’ll probably use the journal prompt in my morning pages at the start of each day.

If you play along I’d love to hear from you. I might even be able to join in along with you if you do it at a later date! Namaste.

Earth Day Celebration Ideas

Earth Day is coming up on 22nd April. You can find out more about it here. Today I want to share some Earth Day Celebration Ideas.

The 22nd April also happens to be my half birthday (a little bit random but I’ll take any excuse to celebrate!). It’s a good way to remember both events!

This year’s theme is End Plastic Pollution.

I’m planning to check our household waste and make sure we are recycling as much plastic as we can. And if we are buying products that are in un-recyclable plastic I will start looking for alternatives.

I know that there are ways I can make greener and more natural choices in my daily life and Earth Day gives me the perfect reason to look at my choices and make some improvements.

• Plant seeds or plants or trees
  • Spend time out in Nature
  • Eat all natural foods for the day / meat free for the day
  • Declutter a space in your home
  • Donate things you know longer need
  • Create art from waste products – Pinterest has lots of excellent ideas for egg cartons and toilet roll tubes!
  • Buy yourself a fun reusable bag to use instead of buying plastic
  • Check your local authorities recycling rules to see if there’s anything else you can regularly recycle
  • Tell someone else about Earth Day so they can celebrate too!
  • Make your own natural beauty and/or cleaning products (there are lots of recipes on Pinterest)
  • Buy natural beauty or cleaning products

There are also heaps of tips at the Earth Day website here.

Our planet is precious and I want to make sure I am helping look after it for my son and our future generations.

Do you have any activity ideas for Earth Day? I’d love to hear any suggestions.

March Reading Rituals

Reading Rituals

We are approaching the end of another month already – how can that be? That means it’s time for March Reading Rituals. This month I’m sharing my thoughts on books on running (as a non-runner)! Plus a look at my To-Be-Read pile…

This Girl Ran by Helen Croydon

March Reading Rituals This Girl Ran

I like to browse the displays at the library and often pick up a book from the display that I wouldn’t seek out on the shelves. This Girl Ran was such a book. The memoir was released earlier this year and is about how the author went from a social-drinking city-girl to an endurance tri-athlete. I have plans to try Couch to 5k this year and I hoped it would give me some inspiration.

I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to read about someone training for endurance sport and how taking up a new hobby can make such big changes in your life and your social circle. I like Helen’s writing style which is fairly matter-of-fact. I can’t imagine myself getting up for 6am river swims or cycling 100’s of miles anytime soon but I found it fascinating to read the lengths she went to in her training. It’s a great tale of resilience and discovering your passions.

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

March Reading Rituals Born to Run

My husband is a keen runner and I read his copy of this book a while back. My husband spoke highly of it so even though I wasn’t sure it was my cup of tea I decided to give it a go.

I got drawn in early on and felt I learnt a lot from reading Born to Run.
I loved the tales of the Tarahumara (the world’s greatest distance runners) and the races mentioned in the book. This book helped me understand the passion and addiction behind running. I haven’t headed off to the wilds to run an ultra-marathon since reading it but it has made me think more favourably about running and the camaraderie aspect of it.

It turns out that as a non-runner I still enjoy books about running! I think I should try reading more books about topics I wouldn’t necessarily think I’d enjoy. I do love memoir’s so perhaps this is the key.

What’s on my To-Be-Read pile?

This month I want to share some of the books currently residing in my To-Be-Read pile. If you have enjoyed any of these I’d love to hear from you as I often find myself indecisive about what to read next!

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

I purchased this after my husband told me about a podcast with the author.

The Goddess Revolution by Mel Wells

I’ve heard great things about this book and it’s encouragement of self love.

The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin

I’m keen to learn more about the tendencies that Gretchen talks about in Better Than Before which I’ve blogged about previously.

My challenge for April is to start one of these books. But which one should I choose?

Did you get some reading done this month? What are you enjoying reading at the moment?

You can read all my Reading Rituals posts here.

Motherhood Musings

Motherhood Musings

How was Mother’s Day for you? Is it a day of celebration or a day that causes upset or stress? I find it sad that a day that’s meant to be joyous can become so painful for some people. I hope that the day was positive for you.

Following on from my post last week about Inspiring Women I’ve been thinking a lot about the women I personally know and how they’ve helped me as a Mother.

Around Mother’s Day I usually find myself thinking of the women that have come before me. My own Mum, my Grandmothers and my ancestors before them. I also love watching the TV show “Call the Midwife” (and I loved Jennifer Worth’s books too) – I find it fascinating to see how childbirth and motherhood has changed even within a couple of generations.

My experience as a new Mother

My experience of being pregnant, giving birth and raising a child in those early years all took place in New Zealand and I feel that there’s probably a significant difference between New Zealand and the UK. For instance – I feel lucky to have had the same midwife support me through my pregnancy, labour, birth and postpartum care. But I was also far away from family and my Mum.

“We have a secret in our culture, and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” – Laura Stavoe Harm

I found the above quote when my baby boy was a few weeks old. It became a mantra in those early days when I was sleep deprived, full of emotion and struggling with my new role as a Mother.

I found those early days and months unbelievably hard. Everything I knew about myself and life was thrown up in the air and fell in a messy array on the ground at my feet. It took me a long time to pick up those pieces and shape them into a new belief system about my life. I’m still doing it! I loved my baby boy (still do 7 ½ years later!). And it was wonderful to have the support of my husband as we both learnt about caring for a new human.

That quote reached out to me and helped me understand that women had been doing this since the age of time. A lot of them in much worse conditions then I was doing.

My “Village”

“It takes a village to raise a child”
– African Proverb

I am grateful for the support network that supported me as I was learning how to be a mother…

My Mum arrived from the UK to New Zealand (where we were living) 3 weeks after my baby boy’s arrival. She was like a Guardian Angel arriving. She swept in, tidied the house, fed us (including the poor neglected dog), provided cuddles and a steady support.

My antenatal group became a lifeline. We were all experiencing motherhood in our own ways and at slightly different stages. We would meet up weekly and it was wonderful to listen to others stories and not feel alone.

My friends and colleagues who had children were there if I needed advice. I can be bad at asking for the advice to be fair but they were willing to share their views when I wanted them.

I am so grateful for all the strong women I know. My grandmother who has birthed 7 children, family members for supporting me at times in my life when I needed their support, friends who have bought me a hot drink and asked me how I was feeling, my mother-in-law who raised my husband.

This has turned into a post about how awesome the support of women can be!

Motherhood Musings

I’ve held off publishing this post as it seems unfinished. I guess that’s because I still have so much to learn and experience as a mother and parent.

The advice that’s probably resonated with me the most is:

“Enjoy the season you’re in” and “these are the good old days!”

It’s so easy to get caught up worrying at various stages of your child’s development or feeling guilty you’re not doing enough. It’s so important to find the good in each stage as it comes along. Being a mother has been both my biggest challenge and my biggest gift.

I think this post may be updated with more great quotes as I come across them. If you have any good parenting quotes to share I’d love to hear them.

Inspiring Women – Happy International Women’s Day!

Today I want to share a list of inspiring women, a quote from each of them and what I think they all have in common. I have talked about most of these women on the blog before. Each of them has a message or has shared words that have really resonated with me.

This list doesn’t include the wonderfully inspiring women I am lucky to call family and friends and know in real life. If I could send flowers to each of them I would!

Happy International Women’s Day!

Inspiring Women

Inspiring Women

(note: these are in no particular order)

Adriene Mishler

“Present and Awake. Love yourself. Love your neighbour. Move from a place of connect. Present and Awake. May all Beings be Free and Happy.”

Adriene created Yoga with Adriene and offers free yoga for all via her YouTube channel. She comes across to me as something of an old soul – full of wisdom to share. I enjoy her sense of humour and think she is trying to help as many people as possible through sharing her love of Yoga.

I’ve previously written about Adriene in How I’m Building a Daily Yoga Practice and True – a 30 day Yoga journey.

Elise Joy

“I’d say we were “out of the woods,” but I have begun to realize that parenting is “The Woods.” The object is not to get out.” (quote source)

I read Elise’s blog years ago and discovered her through a love of scrapbooking. She shared stories on her blog as she moved around the US, got married and became a parent. I loved her honesty of her struggles with early motherhood and wish I could have been that eloquent with a newborn. She no longer regularly blogs but she has a podcast and shares her current projects on Instagram.

Elizabeth Gilbert

“The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.”

I think I came by Elizabeth Gilbert in a strange order. I watched the movie Eat Pray Love. Then I read Big Magic and next I read Eat Pray Love followed by Committed. I love her style of writing. Her ‘Dear Ones’ letters (she shares on social media) are always emotive. I love that she is open about how life goes on past the happily ever after and all the things that come after it.

Julia Cameron

“In times of pain, when the future is too terrifying to contemplate and the past too painful to remember, I have learned to pay attention to right now. The precise moment I was in was always the only safe place for me.”

The Artist’s Way has been a fantastic workbook for me. I am now working my way through Vein of Gold. I enjoy Julia Cameron’s writing and story telling. Some of her essays (particularly the one the quote above is from) really resonate with me and help me understand more about pain and grief.

I’ve mentioned Julia Cameron previously when I shared my thoughts on The Artist’s Way and also talked about my Vein of Gold Pilgrimage

Gretchen Rubin

“One of the best ways to make yourself happy is to make other people happy. One of the best ways to make other people happy is to be happy yourself.”

I love  Gretchen’s books: The Happiness Project, Happier at Home and Better than Before. I truly believe that Better than Before has changed my life and I was excited to meet Gretchen briefly after listening her speak in London a few months ago.

I’ve written a blog post all about Better then Before and how I think it changed my life.

J.K. Rowling

“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.”

She wrote Harry Potter. Which has so much to teach us about light and dark, integrity and growing up. J.K. Rowling has reportedly given a lot of her earnings away to charity. And she’s shared difficulties in her past that she has overcome.

A J.K Rowling quote features on my Reading Rituals Introduction.

So what do these inspiring women all have in common?

They:

• Are creators
  • Are writers
  • Share their messages to help others
  • All earn money doing what they love
  • Are passionate about what they do
  • Have all shared personal battles and how they got through them
  • Strike me as being wise
  • All have a wonderful way of using words

There are countless other women I could add to this list but these are the ones I want to share today.

Who are your Inspiring Women?

February Reading Rituals

Here’s a look at my February Reading Rituals – what I’ve been reading this month as well as my reading challenge for next month…

Reading Rituals

Challenge Results

In January’s post I set myself the challenge of reading The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin. The book stayed on my bedside table as a reminder but as the month went by I found myself choosing fiction books instead. I did start but I haven’t finished it yet – I will report back when I do!

I need to be in the “right mood” for non-fiction. I’ve been busy with my Vein of Gold work and at the end of each day I wanted something I could read to switch off and wind down rather than something that would get my mind buzzing and make me want to take notes!

February Reading Rituals

I ended up rummaging through my bookshelf of favourite books and authors to re-read something lighthearted and fun. As you may already know I am a fan of romance and one of my favourite authors is Jill Shalvis. I picked out “Smart and Sexy” which I’ve had for a while and got stuck in. It was an enjoyable read and I searched out the next two books in the series (Strong and Sexy then Superb and Sexy). Not having my own copies I decided to find and reserve them both on my local library catalogue.

I picked the books up a week or so later and got stuck in. I enjoy reading series-linked books and revisiting characters and locations. They weren’t my favourite Jill Shalvis series (Lucky Harbor is probably my favourite) but were worth a read.

While picking up the reserves at the library I had a browse and picked up another couple of books…

Hygge and Kisses February Reading Rituals

Hygge and Kisses by Clara Christensen

One of the books I picked up is a romantic fiction called Hygge and Kisses by Clara Christensen. I loved the play on words in the title and coziness of the cover.

Hygge (pronounced hue-gah) is a Danish word. It’s definition is “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.” I love the idea of Hygge!

I thoroughly enjoyed the story and loved the description of Danish winter and Skagen where part of the book is set. Reading this story has made me even more keen to visit Denmark. I also liked the development of the main character Bo and her mission to figure out what she wanted to do with her career.

It snowed this morning and I found myself curled up on the couch with a hot coffee reading the last few chapters. I’ve come away feeling more favourably about the cold weather and how I can embrace the warmth and coziness of staying inside (especially if we do end up with a snow day or two this week!)

My challenge for March

My challenge is to read some magazines next month.

In the Moment February Reading Rituals

I subscribe to In the Moment magazine and always love the first glance at what’s inside when the new issue arrives. I usually add the magazine to my papers pile and I never quite get around to reading it properly. It always surprises me when the next one comes through the letterbox!

I’m going to pop the most recent copy in the car. If I end up early for appointments or waiting (at school pick-up for instance) I will spend a few minutes reading the magazine rather than scrolling my phone. Let’s hope it works!

What have you been reading in February? Have you tried any different ways to sneak more reading time into your days? I’d love to hear your tips and tricks!

PS – I’m working on my March newsletter today which is due out later this week. If you’re not subscribed yet you can sign up here. Subscribers receive a FREE printable workbook “How to Find the Good Everyday”. I’ve also created a freebie printable for the March newsletter based around one of my recent posts.

My Slimming World Story

Today I want to share my Slimming World story so far…

my slimming world story my slimming world book

I joined Slimming World at the end of August 2016. We’d been back in the UK for almost 3 months after 11 years away. 2016 had been one of the most stressful, difficult years of my life and I knew I needed to do something to take better care of myself.
I’d just finished reading Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin and was eager to try the strategy of a Clean Slate…

“Any beginning is a special power for habit creation”

I was living in a new country in a new house with a new kitchen. I had access to completely different shops and different foods and my schedule was completely open. It was the perfect time to start forming new habits for eating and staying healthy.

I’ve previously tried other diets and healthy eating plans. I’d had some success with Weight Watchers in Scotland and New Zealand, Scottish Slimmers and Michelle Bridges 12WBT. I had managed to lose weight and eat healthier with each plan but I’d never reached my target weight. I decided to try something new. Slimming World was brand new to me. And I knew of a few people that had great success with it.

Joining

When I researched it and discovered a local group within a few minutes walk from home on a day at a time that suited our family I knew I had to give it a go.

Not knowing what to expect at all – I was a bundle of nerves walking in. I listened attentively to my consultant Angie as she walked me through the plan and how it worked. And then I sat in the meeting and listened to the tips and advice from other members.

Getting Into It

The Extra Easy Plan was unlike anything I’d tried before so it took a while to get used to what foods were free, which were considered speed foods and how healthy extras and syns worked. I faithfully completed my food diaries each week and was grateful that Angie provided feedback to me.

The first week I was happy to lose but was a little disappointed that it was only 2.5lbs. In my research I’d come across stories of people losing half a stone and more on their first week. I refused to be disheartened though and carried on.

The following week I did feel disheartened when the scales showed a half a pound loss. Was I doing something wrong? I was so grateful for the support and encouragement of group members that night. They convinced me to stick with it and try a few things to mix it up.

On my third weigh in I lost 5.5lbs and claimed my half stone award and sticker. I finally felt like I was getting somewhere!

My weight losses do tend to be sporadic. It just seems to be the way my body works. I think hormones have a great deal to do with this and my consultant encouraged me to look at my losses across the whole month to ensure I could see the results.

By the end of 2016, 4 months after joining I had lost 2 stone 1 pound.

My 2017 Slimming World Story

Once I’d been a member for a while my consultant was looking for some extra helpers at our group. I stuck my hand up knowing that outer accountability helps me stick at things! By volunteering to help each week Angie was depending on me and this meant I had to go along regardless of how I thought my week had gone.

It was also good for me to get to know people and their names as I’m not as comfortable in a group setting.

2017 had it’s ups and it’s downs but overall I ended the year lighter than I’d started. I weighed on Christmas Eve and had lost a total of 4 stone 5 lbs.

I’ve gone down about 3-4 dress sizes and I am pleased with all my shiny stickers and certificates (I am motivated by stickers!).

slimming world 2017 results

My “Journey”

I get a bit fed up with the word journey and yet I find myself using it a lot. It does describe how Slimming World has worked for me. At our meetings there is a sign called “Your Journey to Target” which talks about how your “journey” can work. You could be going straight from A to B with no distractions or taking the scenic route with a few stops along the way.

I’m definitely taking the scenic route and at this present moment I feel like I’m at a rest stop and feeling a little tired at the thought of carrying on. I’m hoping to refuel my tank of motivation and continue on my way. I hope that my writing about my progress so far that I’ll be inspired to carry on…

face to face

Where I am at Now

Over the last few weeks some of my old (bad) eating habits have creeped back in and I’ve had more gains than losses. I keep giving myself pep talks and I feel encouraged each week after group…and yet a day or so later I am not sticking to the plan.

I think I need a bit of a reset. This week I have picked up a For and Against List. I completed one of these a while ago but I think it’s time to revisit and seriously consider my reasons for sticking with Slimming World.

I know that when I stick to it the plan works. And I know that I feel happier and healthier and more in balance when I follow the plan. I don’t have aspirations of being a size 8 but I do want to know that I am fuelling my body with good food and that I have a healthy relationship with food and my body. Slimming World is helping to teach me that.

I’ll let you know how I get on and perhaps share some tips and recipes as I go along.

Have you got a Slimming World story? Or a story about having a healthy relationship with your body and with food? I’d love to hear more if you do!

TRUE – a 30 day Yoga Journey

During January I completed Yoga with Adriene’s latest 30 day yoga journey – TRUE. I’ve been practising yoga daily since 1st January 2017 (397 days and counting!). Today I want to share my thoughts on TRUE.

What is TRUE?

ywa true calendar

TRUE is available for free on youtube and will be available all year round. It’s a 30 day yoga journey that you can start at any time regardless of your age, size or ability. There are often suggestions for beginners as well as more advanced yogi’s to adapt the practice to suit your needs.

Adriene guides you on a journey that’s all about yoga but also (and probably more importantly) all about yourself. Each day has a theme which is mentioned in the practice and the description as well. The theme works well as a mantra throughout the practice and is usually something you can ponder on in life (away from your yoga mat) as well.

The longest practice is Day 16 – Self Love – at 41 minutes and the shortest is Day 24 – Be Kind – at 13 minutes. The average length is 25 minutes.

My 30 day Yoga Journey

I LOVED TRUE. It was a wonderful way to begin 2018 and to continue my daily yoga practice into this new year.

I found during TRUE that although I’d already done yoga daily for the whole of 2017 – there is still much to learn and develop. After the 30 days I feel stronger and I really do feel like I know myself better.

I definitely had some favourite practices during the 30 days. I marked good ones with a little heart in my Bujo Yoga Tracker. There are more practices with little hearts beside them then there are blanks! By completing all the practices (plus I did an extra on 1st January as it properly kicked off on the 2nd) I clocked up 13 hours 15 minutes of yoga in January.

TRUE has helped me realise that I prefer swifter, flow yoga. I particularly enjoyed Day 7 – Salud, Day 10 – Detox and Day 22 – Release. In fact Day 22 was probably my favourite of all of them. And I have to mention Day 30 – Be You – which is a culmination of everything before it and allows you the opportunity to do your own thing (you can follow along with Adriene if you wish but there are no voice prompts).

30 day yoga journey

I love Adriene’s style. I find her quirky and fun. It always brings a smile to my face when she bursts into song or sneaks in some innuendo. And her dog Benji is a gorgeous addition to some of the practices.  She also comes out with some really inspirational words. Some of my favourite Adriene quotes are:

• Trust yourself, trust me, trust the video
  • Meet your appropriate edge
  • Ritual is Routine with Intention (so good I used it in my Find the Good Everyday Printable Workbook!)
  • The universe is for you and so is everything else
  • Find What Feels Good

What’s Next?

I’ve now completed 3 of Adriene’s January Yoga programmes:

I did start Yoga Camp back in January 2016 but I didn’t finish it so it’s on my list to get through the whole thing sometime this year.

Adriene has released a calendar for February that suggests daily practices – it’s a mix of already available practices and new ones being released each week. I have downloaded the calendar and will give it a go. The theme is Love Yo ‘Self which is fantastic for the month of love!

While I was keen to stick with TRUE on a day to day basis I probably won’t be so rigid with the February calendar. If there’s a practice that doesn’t quite fit in with my mood or available time on a given day I will probably swap it for something else.

Have you tried yoga? Are you a fan of Adriene? Why not give TRUE a go? I would wholeheartedly recommend it!

January Reading Rituals

Reading Rituals

Have you made time for reading this month? Which season do you think is best for reading? I love curling up on a cold Winter’s day with a book. But I also enjoy collecting a pile of books to read throughout Summer.

For my January Reading Rituals post I thought I’d start with a summary of books I’ve already mentioned so there’s a spot to link all my book/reading related posts together.

The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron

The Artist's Way book

Back when I started this blog I wrote about The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. The book is for anyone who wants to discover and recover their creative self. The Artist’s Way changed the way I look at my creativity and taught me a lot about taking care of and loving myself (which I wasn’t expecting!).

My main takeaways from the book were:

• The importance of journalling the mundane to make space for creativity. I write Morning Pages every morning
  • How important it is to take care of yourself – which led to setting myself daily self nurturing tasks
  • That to be a writer (or inset any type of creator here) I have to write. I need to let go of insecurities of making mistakes and not being any good and trust my creativity to create what it needs to.

Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin

January Reading Rituals better than before

I was lucky enough to hear Gretchen Rubin speak in London in December. Better than Before is a great book if you are looking to create good habits and break old ones. It helps you work out which strategies will be best for you based on how you deal with outer and inner expectations.

The top 3 things I learnt from this book were:

• I’m an Obliger – I respond better to outer expectations than inner ones
  • I learnt how to get myself outer accountability to ensure I followed through on things I wanted to achieve (check out my blog post for some examples)
  • This book helped me be much more self aware of myself and my habits. I picked up some great strategies which continue to serve me well.

The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte

the desire map

Last month I wrote about my Core Desired Feelings which I came up with as a result of reading and working my way through The Desire Map. Danielle La Porte writes about the importance of understanding how you want to feel to ensure you set goals that help you create the feelings you desire. The book has some fantastic essays and worksheets to help you discover your Core Desired Feelings.

My main learnings from this book were:

• The importance of setting goals that have feeling behind them
  • What my core desired feelings are – you can see them here
  • The link between spirituality/soul work and achievements/goal setting.

My January Reading Rituals

• I’ve mostly been re-reading old favourites. I find it comforting to cosy down with a book I am familiar with. Re-reading some favourite romance novels was a wonderful tonic to feeling poorly earlier this month.
  • It has been a couple of months since I visited my local library. To remedy this I have requested a couple of fiction books I am keen to read. When I get the notification they are ready to collect I will visit the library and make sure I have a good browse while I am there.
  • I’ve been listening to audio files of Danielle La Porte’s Fire Starter Sessions. She has a Facebook group you can join to participate in and get access to the files for free. There are 16 audio files to listen to and all come with accompanying worksheets. I am enjoying the different format (I don’t often listen to audio books). I have also find the bite-size audio file lengths handy.
  • I’m working on Vein of Gold as part of an online cluster group – it’s been great to have the work & reading paced by our facilitator Susan who is very supportive and helpful. This will be a long 30 week project and I hope to share my thoughts as I work through it.

Looking Forward to Next Month

My challenge to myself for February is to finish reading The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin. I want to learn more about each tendency (especially my own Obliger tendency and my husband’s Rebel tendency) and I want to take some suggestions from the book to try out in my daily life.

What are you reading right now? I’d love to hear your recommendations.