Today I want to talk about how we can cultivate positive energy.
It’s helpful to know what activities and things raise our energy. Then when we are having a meh day we can try them to see if it helps lift us up. It may not always help and it may not always be what we need (sometimes we need to feel our emotions and not brush them aside). But it’s great to have an idea of what might help raise our energy when we want to try it.
Get to Know Yourself Better
Something that has been super helpful for me in how I cultivate positive energy is getting to know myself better.
- I know I’m an introvert who needs alone time.
- I’m an obliger who often needs external accountability to get things done.
- And I’m an INFJ who can sometimes be described as “sensitive” and work best when what I am doing links to my personal values.
There are various quizzes you can take online if you like that kind of thing (I do!) to help you discover more about your own traits. I know some people aren’t a fan of labels and being pigeon-holed but I’ve always found things like this a great leaping point to understand myself better.
If you do any quizzes I’d recommend following it up with research on your “type” to see if you do feel like it fits you. And then use that knowledge to give yourself tools and help in the areas you want to improve.
Knowing I am an introvert has probably been the biggest game-changer for my energy levels. Now I understand when my battery is running low and that quiet alone time is exactly what I need to help raise my energy again.
Get Ready to Cultivate Positive Energy
If we’re having a meh day and want to try and raise our energy – that often isn’t the best time to work out what we need. What is helpful is already having a file or toolbox you can open up when you need it. So let’s look at how we can do that…
Create an Energy Toolbox
Open up a notes file on your phone or a page in your notebook to record your answers to each of the prompts below. It can become something you revisit when you need to lift your spirits.
- Make a list of things that raise your energy. E.g. listen to music, dance, go for a walk, talking to friends, being creative
- What one thing can you do every morning to help you cultivate positive energy? E.g. journalling, meditation, hydrate, exercise, stretch, wear something that makes you happy, put on your favourite jewellery/perfume
- Make a playlist with songs that make you want to dance and sing. If you prefer podcasts to music – which ones inspire you and motivate you?
- Engage your senses… what colours mean happy or high energy to you? Which scents wake up and refresh you? What food/drink revives you?
- What’s your perfect break when you get overwhelmed or stressed? Do you like to get outside? Have a nap? Have a drink? Switch to a different activity?
This is a great starting point. If you know your personality traits or have answers to the quizzes you could also screenshot your answers and keep them together to refer back to.
Start creating a file on yourself – what makes you feel good and what helps raise your energy when you need to. And then open it up on those days when you need a boost!
What’s the number one tool in your energy raising toolkit?
And if you liked this post you may also enjoy 9 Ways to Boost Energy and Get Things Done.